Old 01-02-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
fini

Jeni,

i've been thinking about this thread off and on all day.
your question was "do you think recovery is possible without a sponsor?"

and you got responses.
some of us responded to the question as asked (is it possible?), while other responses seemed to answer "is it okay" or "is it advisable" or "what should i do...should i find a new one???"

i've always liked the approqach of checking my motives, and being really honest with myself about that.
so i'd recommend that.
you're feeling lost.
you don't like meetings.
you're unlikely to meet another possible sponsor without going to more meetings.
you're possibly or probably also unlikely to meet others that you would be a sponsor to if you drop off your meeting attendance and aren't engaged actively.

i don't intend this as a scare-thing, and i'm not one who believes that not having a sponsor or not going to meetings or not "doing" AA leads to relapse.
however: i have, in my several years of forums, noticed that one common thing people remark on after coming back from a relapse is that they let go of the very things that got them to a point of feeling confident and functioning well and, well, healthy and fairly content.
it seems like most of us understand that , for example, going to the gym and eating in a healthy way we can get to a place of strength and well-being and we know that we need maintenance to keep being at that well-functioning level.
it's simplistic, of course, to compare that straight across with what we're talking about in this thread, but there are similarities.
so i just want to suggest that you check your motives and aren't letting go of/leaving a bunch of the stuff that got "so much better" in the first place without being clear on why you're doing it.