Old 12-31-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Bix, in this case you are going to have to go on faith.

We have no reason to lie to you. We are not being paid to talk to you.

We all remember the euphoria. In early days, that's what is foremost in the mind. I wanted that stimulation and that high. I had created that by over-drinking for many years. That is the price I had to pay for those drinking days.

It passes. I think you made it about two months on this last quit? I would say it took me a year until I felt completely normal again in body, mind, and spirit. The first six months were tough, obsession-wise. There are lots of methods out there to redirect your thoughts when the thoughts of drinking come. The thoughts are going to come. It is your job to figure out what you need to tell yourself to keep from giving in. There are lots of suggestions in this thread, there are thousands of other threads on this site you can read.

The bottom line is do not pick up that first drink, no matter what.

It takes time and it takes continuous sobriety to get the benefits. I almost cannot remember the euphoria anymore. I definitely don't remember it as a good thing anymore. I see it as an evil. Something that tried to steal my joy; and it succeeded as long as I kept using it. You have to go on faith for now. Do the thing, understand it later.