Old 12-31-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by TakesaVillage View Post
I can relate. After another black out night last night, making a fool of myself, again, I woke up hating myself, again. A good friend told me today, that he hopes I can stop drinking before my liver fails. That really scared me. But like you, I am scared about never having the option to drink again. I'm scared to continue and scared to stop. I can go about 3 days before it gets rough. Today is day 1. I'm glad I found this site.
here's something that helped me with that issue....

I recognize that I ALWAYS have the option to drink again. When I shifted my perspective from HAVING to not drink into CHOOSING to not drink.... it really helped.

I always have the option. Nobody will stop me. I can get in the car and drive less than a mile right now and start drinking. But I don't want to. I want a better life. I want the life I've discovered in sobriety. Alcohol isn't even something I see as belonging in the life that I have created now. It's still an option and always will be. Just like crashing my car into a brick wall at 100mph is an option or robbing a convenience store is an option or chopping off my own arm with an axe is an option. I won't choose any of those options, and I won't choose drinking.

Removing the sense of "Cant" and changing it to a choice of "I don't" was a huge shift in my success.