View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SoberinSyracuse
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Dating and Alcohol

That's awesome that you don't seem to be having a tough withdrawal! This lets you focus on the good stuff you're working on now.

LOL, I hear you about dating!! The thing about alcohol and dating.... This is from my perspective in my late 40s... Earlier in life, it seemed to be a great lubricant for my love life. But in retrospect I know that it made me "settle" for men who were less than what I wanted. Instead of using those years to discover who I truly was and what I valued in a partner, I flitted from one high-risk encounter to the next, with a few tumultuous and dysfunctional "relationships" in between. This was a waste of time, and I think it's the reason my two marriages failed -- because I married men I would not have accepted if I'd been sober. Those years should have instead been spent finding the right person and building a wonderful relationship with them.

I think all alcohol does really is infuse us with a false sense of confidence, lower our standards, and waste our time in low-value dating.

And for what it's worth.... at this point in life the men who have the attributes I like are all nondrinkers. Hahaha, just one more reason for me to quit!