View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Yogapants

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Hi Yoga, good to hear from you. My parents and sister leave in a few days so I will be back to dealing with some pretty intense solitude.

I have thought of you as I remember you saying the first few months of sobriety were just a trudge but then you said it did get better. Would you be willing to say more about how that went?

Hope you all are grinding along in low gear recovery to the best of your abilities!
BKA, sorry I did not respond to this post earlier. The first 3 months of sobriety were a bear. I needed a lot of crutches, I continuously felt sorry for myself, anxious and unsure of myself. I had to plan every minute of every day to make sure that I had something to do other than drinking. When attending any kind of event where alcohol was served, I rehearsed saying "no, thank you" for days beforehand... And then, slowly, things started falling into place. I told my friends and family that I am no longer drinking. I realized that my sleep quality improved greatly and that I am feeling much better physically. And most importantly, my overall mood changed. Instead of feeling slightly depressed and down all the time, I started feeling happy for the first time in many many years. I started enjoying and cherishing every moment of every day. I have to admit that at times I'm a bit scared of that happy feeling. Like the calm before the storm, like some kind of a disaster is going to strike and take it away from me. But I'm trying to put these thoughts out of my mind and just focus on the moment. So far so good. Looking forward to the 5 month mark in a few days, and then on to 6 months and a year...

I don't post here very often, but I read the posts of my classmates and I feel very grateful for having this place to turn to when I need help and reinforcement and company.