Old 12-28-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Saskia

Welcome, Wonder!

I also had gastric bypass (RNY). Prior to surgery I had problems with alcohol but could stop easily. After gastric bypass, I had a horrible time.

It used to be thought that it was due to transfer of addiction. More recent studies are showing other causes. It's apparently only with the RNY bypass that increased alcohol addiction occurs. Rates are not increased for gastric band and gastric sleeve. It is believed to be due to changes in absorption in the shortened small intestine.

IMHO, it helps to understand this when planning how to deal with it. When I tried to stop drinking, I kept on relapsing over and over again. I was desperate. I finally fully accepted that I needed to take much more action. So, in addition to SR I did an IOP - intensive outpatient program plus AA and psychotherapy. I managed to stay sober for 7-8 months and briefly slipped. I immediately went to see my pdoc who put me on meds for cravings. That has worked and I have been sober for 16 months and have no more cravings. I know I will need to continue to be vigilant for the rest of my life. I simply cannot have a single drink. I am staying close to SR because this keeps my sobriety front and center every single day.

It also helped me to learn to not keep blaming myself and thinking of it as shameful and a moral failing.

Good luck! You can do this even if it takes more effort.