View Single Post
Old 12-26-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rickh54

Originally Posted by sva777 View Post
Congratulations Rick and everyone else. I had another sober Christmas as well and it was fantastic. I quit drinking on January 9th 2015 I had one slip up the night of December 8th, I know I can't skip over that when counting days so I am back on day 17. Have you all managed to put the time together with no slip ups? Next Christmas I will be looking forward to celebrating one year I feel awful as it could be almost two.
You have exactly nothing to feel awful about. Congratulations for realizing it was one slip on your journey. You should be damn proud of yourself.
Everyone on SR is travelling on the same train. Some get on and get off at the first stop, others get off and then decided to get back on, others ride this bugger for the rest of their days and never get off. Everyone is different but everyone is the same. We all have an addiction problem with alcohol and or drugs. How we all got here is really irrelevant. How we are going to recover together is what is important.
I spend a great deal of time in the early few months on SR, reading, listening, crying, laughing. As I stopped counting days and began to count my blessings, focus on the great family in my life and the great future I have, I spent less and less time on SR. Always manage to check in with my group on a milestone, just to get a pat on the back and give some words of encouragement to others. I try to stop in to the newbie section as well and help our where I can.
I spent 40 years binge drinking and sitting on bar stools talking nonsense to the other drunks. "ain't nobody got time for dat"
2+ years later at almost 62 years old and getting somewhat sick of soda water and lemon, life is good. Health is good, future is good.
The one thing I do know and that is I will not be cracking a 24 pack today.
Tomorrow is tomorrow.
Best of everything to you my new friend. Hold that head up high and don't be concerned if you get off on the wrong stop. Be proud you got back on the train.
Rick
(better known as Papa to my 3 wonderful, happy, exhausting little grandsons)