View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
ultradad

SoberMarathon, this is brilliant and sooo true!!!
"My therapist told me that the first year of sobriety is a bit like the first year after someone close to you dies. There's a year of birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, summer holidays - all of which you need to get used to being without that person or in our case, alcohol. If that's the case, I won't underestimate that this could be a really tough 12 months but I'm ready for it."

Welcome soonerman!

So made it through the night and enjoying my cup of coffee as well, feels good to wake up sober and not have a hangover and actually remember the night before! We made plans for today and tonight, plans that my drinking would destroy so I think I'm okay, plus...the quote from SM really spoke to me, it's so freaking true. I told my wife last night that I think the problem I'm having right now is that deep down I really don't want to stop drinking, what I want is to drink without negative consequences and this is just never going to happen for me. I have to make up my mind that sobriety is what I truly want and desire more than anything else and then the process will become easier. Until then I'm just biding my time and playing with fire! I hope I'm getting to that point...like you Canguy the weather, be it cold or hot, is always a trigger for me and yes, the cravings are there this morning, but I'm being proactive this weekend instead of just blindly ignoring reality and giving in to the AV.

Enfin, really heartbroken for you! My wife and I wen't through a similar situation and it took a long time for trust and healing to come, but it did...dare I say, our marriage is actually stronger due to the journey. Hang in there and above all...start the trust building process by showing you can keep your self promises by staying sober!

SM, Canguy, BBF. Supertired, Jemma, Enfin, SoberMarathon, Cristina, swimkim, Kiki, Paul, Dee, Patricia and soonerman and everyone else I hope you all have a blessed and sober day!