View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
honeypig

I heard similar stuff from my A, marisa. I would never be satisfied, I was too demanding, wasn't I happy now that I had my way, etc. And in my case, the joke was that he never actually quit drinking, just got way better at hiding it.

"Stopping drinking" and "recovery" are only partly related. An A cannot do recovery w/o stopping drinking, but the roads are littered w/those who are trying to stop drinking w/o doing recovery (w/short-lived success at best). Without the tools and support for learning a new way of living life, simply white-knuckling his way dry is NOT recovery and is very, very unlikely to succeed in the long run. I mean, look at how it is now, right? He is (allegedly) not drinking, but is he happy? Are YOU? It's still not a relationship you'd want to continue as it is, right?

It looks to me like you're looking to him and his (alleged) cessation of drinking to fix everything. Sadly, that is unlikely to happen. I wasted 4 years while XAH faked going to AA meetings and lied about being sober b/c I, too, wanted HIM to do the work to fix us both. I mean, HE was the one w/the drinking problem, right? Then I finally found SR and Alanon and now, 3 years later, I'm beginning to have a clue. The main thing I learned? I have to do my own work. Nobody else is going to fix ME thru their actions or words.

I'm guessing you're in a similar space. SR and Alanon and a ton of reading about codependence and other recovery topics helped me. I'm betting it would be a good place for you to begin also.