Old 12-17-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
walkbeformakrun
Omnivore

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
Just the sheer thought of the potential danger to ones self to take an unnecessary deterrent
If you can quit without Antabuse, then yes, it is unnecessary. I believe strongly that no one should take any drugs that they do not need. So Sudz, did you quit?

My hat goes off to those that can quit without the crutch of Antabuse. I wish I were that strong. I'm not. I need this crutch. I've tried to do it without it and failed consistently. So for me it is far from unnecessary, it is crucial.

[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by fini View Post
I find Antabuse takes away the constant thoughts about drinking.

walk,
this has always fascinated me, as that is not its medical function, so to speak.

and i wonder if it isn't the knowledge that you've taken it, the knowledge that you "can't" drink which relieves you of the constant presence of drinking thoughts?
in which case the Antabuse "works" exactly like my knowledge that i'm a drunk. which stopped any thought of drinking in its track.

just something i've wondered about for a long time.
Yes, that is it Fini. For those, like you, who fear just drinking as much as I fear drinking on Antabuse, well then it works the same. I just happen to be in need of a fear booster. I don't have enough fear of drinking without the Rx.

It also has a parallel with "higher power" thinking. I can rely upon my Rx like others rely upon their higher power. It saves me. Protects me. With the help of my Rx I can do this! Without it I am weak and helpless in the face of temptation.