Old 12-16-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
walkbeformakrun
Omnivore

I see a lot of posts here say things to the effect of, why would a doc prescribe something to an alcoholic that could kill him/her if they drink on it. Well there is one thing sure to kill an alcoholic even without Antabuse, that is continuing to drink. So yah, like any drug, Antabuse has some bad side effects when not used as directed. Maybe even death in extreme cases. But continuing to drink is worse.

I find Antabuse takes away the constant thoughts about drinking. I used to be constantly thinking, maybe now I can drink. Ok, no not now, but then soon, just one drink, now. Or now. How about now? Then, yes, now is a good time for a drink! And just like that we are off to the races.

On Antabuse those thoughts are quickly shut down. Now the thoughts are, maybe I can drink a week from now. Ah, no, never mind. Take the pill and forget about it. It is just not that attractive of an idea to have a drink a week from now. The thoughts get less and less frequent the longer I am on it.

Some say it is a crutch. I've said that myself. I'm not too proud to use a crutch to help me quit drinking. I'd use a wheel chair if I thought that would help me quit.