View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
skywalker91

Yes focusing on ways to avoid a relapse is very important even though everyone has different things that make them tick! I learned that keeping busy and having goals that truly excite me may be my saving grace. Yes it truly is freedom from slavery and it is more than just getting my old self back, I have a complete new version of myself. During this road of recovery I learned that even before ever touching a drug or drink I was born an addict/alcoholic. It was like being sick and not knowing what my disease was for all these years! Congrats on not having cravings anymore. Thank you for your kind words. Happy New Year to you as well.

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Skywalker91: Looks like you're on a roll! It get's easier and easier but don't become overconfident. If you read about recovery, why not focus on ways to avoid relapses. Hope you never have one! You've just given yourself the ultimate Christmas gift, freedom from slavery, getting your old self back. Hang in there and if you persist you will be very happy. You call it a continual struggle. It hasn't been that way for me. I'd call it continual wariness, watching for any possible triggers. I have no cravings now but I still can't tolerate the smell of the stuff. Like an old racehorse (88) smelling the track. Out to pasture now and enjoying every minute. Every good wish to you for a very very happy new year! Keep in touch.

W.