View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
GettingBy

NBC,

Good to see you again! I'm sorry to hear that your first meeting went that way. I don't know if this helps or not, but my first one was an empty room too. I was fortunate enough though that a very nice lady came out from the AA room and asked me to join them. I was reluctant at first, but it was a worthwhile experience. I was there for a reason, just like things are happening in your life for a reason.

I'm not going to give you any advice, but I will share my story. I did find other meetings to go to and for about 2 months I went. I think I was going to about 2-3 meetings a week, and things at home actually starting getting worse, instead of better?!?! I was actually getting more insane and unreasonable. It didn't make sense. I took a step back from Al-anon for a few weeks, and then tried again, same thing. For whatever reason, I just wasn't ready for the message that the meetings were trying to send. That was about 3 months ago, and I still haven't made it back, BUT... I did find SR, and it has helped me to finally "hear" the Al-anon message, and actually figure out ways to live it.

How I work the program is completely up to me. I know my life is getting better so I don't worry that my way may not be exactly how others would do it. I don't have a sponsor... I have all the wonderful folks here at SR. I haven't worked the steps, as far as putting them on paper, but I know that in my heart I'm probably in the midst of a Step 4.

I guess my point is that there is no one right way to heal. It's different for each of us because we are all different! God gives to each of us exactly what we need and can handle!

I hope no matter what your path is that you keep working towards your own happiness!
Shannon