View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
TheBeesKnees
This is NOT my first Rodeo

Reiki,
I know someone on the boards here who will go and kick that woman RIGHT in the shins for you. It was NOT ok for her to violate your anonymity, which is the spritual foundation of our traditions. You are absolutely right in wanting to say something... if you aren't comfortable saying it to her directly, you can always share about it at a meeting w/o naming names. She'll know, and perhaps there are others in the group who would benefit from the sharing/topic as well.

OOOOH you hit a nerve with me!

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 1/20

“Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our Traditions.” Anonymity makes it possible to leave not only our surnames, but all the labels and expectations with which we have been burdened, outside the Al-Anon rooms. Through our commitment to anonymity we can put aside what we are and begin to know who we are.

As I began to recognize how valuable this spintual principle already was in my life, I understood why it was so important to protect the anonymity of others, including the alcoholic. If I want the benefits the program has to offer, I have an obligation to extend to others the same respect and courtesy that keep me feeling safe, free from labels, and free to be myself.

Today’s Reminder

In taking my place among the thousands of anonymous individuals who make up the Al-Anon Family Groups, I know that I never again have to be alone. I won’t jeopardize this valuable resource by violating its most fundamental spiritual principle.

“Each person should be able to leave an Al-Anon meeting secure in the knowledge that what he, or she, has shared will not be repeated.”

Why Anonymity in Al-Anon?