View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  
phoebe64

Originally Posted by BrighterDayz View Post
I LOVE steamed dumplings Phoebe. Is that what you make? I've never attempted them as my husband and DD won't eat them. I will be doing a nice antipasto platter with meats, veggies, cheeses, fruits and olives. Spinach dip is always popular here and my family has to have Brie, no matter what. Bruschetta is also big. So many options for small plates.
Sounds wonderful! We are usually just "us" on Christmas Eve. It used to be my family, but since my parents have died, my brother and I get together sometime between Christmas and New Year's. But, anyway, on Christmas Eve, we do appetizer dinner. The kids and I make mock-tails with seltzer and fruit slices, and we have crudites, shrimp cocktail, pigs in a blanket, and such. Last year, I went all out and fried popcorn chicken for the kids, and made french fries.

Back to my brother. Last year, we went to his home a few days after Christmas. He has a few older girls, the youngest is the same age as my oldest. Their kids are not very engaging to my(younger) kids. And, my brother drank so heavily, that even I, having drank alcoholically in my life, was very, very uncomfortable. We have yet to hear from them. And we only get together this one time every year, since my dad died. It seems it is my turn to reach out. I don't want to. It sounds sad, but my kids were uncomfortable. The puppy complicates things. They would welcome him, but he gets carsick. It's an hour drive. Their dog is old, and limits them. But, it is their turn to come here. Since we now have a dog, we could welcome theirs. That would allow them to travel for the day . But, you all get that it's complicated!

I am much more comfy if they come here. My house, and all.