Old 12-13-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Firesong

Originally Posted by PinkCloudsCharley View Post
the term codependency has always made me feel uneasy. When you are in a non-addict relationship, it's called being kind and caring. When one is an addict, suddenly you are "enabling" and "codependent". I stopped doing laundry for H, one of the jobs I have actually always enjoyed doing, because I thought I was being codependent. What did he think? That I didn't love him anymore, that I was abandoning him. why was it ok when he wasn't drinking (or drinking too much) and suddenly not ok now? If it messed with his mind, it was messing with mine more! things that were loving and caring before were enabling now.
I realize that quote is over a year old but I just found this thread tonight and I want to say thank you for this post, PinkCloudsCharley.

I have always had problems with the term "codependency" too. It has never made any sense to me, and I really appreciate what you said about how being "kind and caring" suddenly gets labeled "codependency" when it becomes part of an addiction relationship. And "enabling" too, a criticism for something that is actually loving and caring.

Thank you for posting that.

This is a good thread.