View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Neverthought

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
I'm back. I don't know why I torture myself. Day 1 and I need to get a couple days back under my belt before Saturday because I don't think I can make it through then - hosting a surprise milestone bday. I feel like I need the drinks - pre-party drinks - just for the energy. Did anyone else drink for the energy sometimes? So stupid - most people will joke that a glass of wine makes them so sleepy (ha.ha.). But I could clean my house and fold laundry and go go go with a few glasses of wine. Ugh! Again, the torture. Sometimes I feel like I am punishing myself for some unknown...
I absolutely drank for the energy. It would pick me up and make me think clearly. I'd be sharp.

My last big party "a class reunion amongst old-close friends was November 27th". I brought a bottle of Jameson. One of my friends was taking shots at me and sort making jokes that I brought a bottle (he's a dick anyway). I drank 1/2 of it in 8 hours. I was the only one making sense at the end of the night. The majority could hardly talk. I was sort of laughing to myself thinking "now, look at you people". Though I realize that is childish and I realize the repercussions on how I got to that point which is really kind of sad.

But where I grew up, that's what we did and that is what they still do (I moved away and started a family, and I'm so glad I did)

So, that is just some insight how I've learned how to cope and drink without ever getting hammered. I don't black out, I actually learned to control it. I've also learned to take 2 to 3 days off during the week. But there is always that one day about (1) to (3) times a month where it would catch up to me. And they are time(s) when I realized, I'm going nowhere and fast. Plus, I felt the toll it's taking, mentally and physically.

But to answer your question, YES, Alcohol (good whiskey) has a unique effect on me and apparently you as well. But in time and I know from experience we will get that confidence and energy back naturally!

Personally, I think it's very difficult to quit for me, you and many others that fall into this category. But rest assured it is all smoke and mirrors. My wife said to me last evening, "boy you're funny today and in a good mood". Look just we don't need it!!!