Thread: Hate this.
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
wehav2day

Good topic!

Ya know, I was just posting the other day that there was no "magical moment" for me. I never got a DUI by some miracle, I hadn't lost my job (yet), I hadn't lost my partner (yet), I still had my health (kinda)...

I was well on the way to losing all of the good stuff in my life. I waited for some magical moment when I would be cured of the obsession to drink. That moment never came.

Instead, I just told myself "not tonight." Then the next morning I said, "not today." I'd done that before, but this time I stuck to it. My messed up alkie brain told me all the same things yours is telling you now. I gritted my teeth and kept saying, "not today."

I started a recovery plan, and stuck to it even when I thought it was mostly ********.especially then. After a while, the obsession waned. Now it's gone.

I think "one day I just KNEW" happens for some. It probably makes a good story for some others, or they look back and remember a defining moment. For me, it was more of a get on with it, go or get off the pot, moment. I just decided to get on with it.

Nothing spectacular, but it sure changed my life. Just don't drink tonight. Make the same promise to yourself tomorrow. Get on with it.

You can do it!