View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
freya

reikehelps:

You seem to be doing everything you need to be doing -- just be gentle with yourself and celebrate your progress and your little daily victories. There is a man I know who has been in the program for 19 years -- he tells a story about how he went to his first meeting, bought One Day At a Time, took it home and read the whole thing the first night and then was amazed when he woke up the next morning and felt pretty much the same as he had before he even went to the meeting. His joke with this is: "I guess I should have paid a little attention to the title!"

This really is a one day at a time program and so many of us have been so hard on ourselves and expected so much of ourselves, especially as it comes to expecting ourselves to be able to "fix" the addict's behavior, that being gentle with ourselves and learning to take things slowly and at a manageable (but long-term much more meaningful and effective) pace, without the pressure for perfection is one of the most vital, yet hardest lessons for us to learn.

You are doing great.

freya