View Single Post
Old 12-04-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Hi and welcome.

Gotta say, I'm on board with wpainterw and loulou - you gotta ditch that booze, man. In my experience, there was part of me that did not want to LET GO and wanted to keep that door open a crack. After I ditched the booze, I ended up smoking marijuana a lot which did me no favors either. We've all been there.

As for going out to the hoops game (where you normally drink), why do you think this is a good idea on Day 2? Many folks with a year or two of sobriety would be on the fence about going. Heading out to social events on weekends can be a major trigger.

I'd recommend staying home. Tossing the booze. And watching the game on TV with a seltzer water and some popcorn. I'm sure your inner alcoholic thinks that's a horrible decision, but it's best for the new "sober you". Trust me, you won't be missing out on anything - you will be gaining a better foothold on sobriety. I was 36 when I got sober, and I'm 40 now, so I am in your age range and totally get it, man. But you gotta let go of this social stuff for a while. Good luck and again, welcome.