View Single Post
Old 12-04-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by Owl1370 View Post
My AXBF just texted me about this and reminded me that we saw him walking around Miami Beach last New Years. I am not going to respond but I hope that AXBF does take this into his heart. AXBF is an excellent drummer and guitar player but his addiction has destroyed all his musical desires.
Jimmy Page got heavily into heroin beginning around 1975, and if you listen to Zeppelin bootlegs from around then and especially 1977, you can hear it.

Want an example? Go to YouTube and listen to "Since I've Been Loving You" from Madison Square Garden 1973, and then listen to the same song from Cleveland 1977. The difference in the quality of Page's playing is night and day; Page was rippin' in '73, but in '77, he was staggering and stumbling across the fretboard.

The fact we have another dead musician does not and will not deter someone from picking up. Did Page's story stop Kurt Cobain? Or Layne Staley from Alice in Chains? Did Cobain and Staley deter Weiland?

No, of course not. And I think the lesson is denial is a very, very powerful thing. How many people pick up and tell themselves they're different, or they can handle it?