Thread: Stumbled
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by KidsEverywhere View Post
I appreciate everyone's feedback. I think what this all boils down to is the common notion that we can somehow moderate. It makes no sense because we have no trackrecord of it, and fall into not moderating real quickly. I didn't drink for 15 months, drank while on vacation and came back and was drinking virtually everyday again.
I think we cling to the things that someone seem to distinguish ourselves as different and therefore, able to control it- for me that is the fact I didn't get hammered. Well, great. I never got hammered much, but I would walk through fire if I had to in order to get my 3-4 drinks every night.
My point is, I'm not the same as everyone who has a drinking problem- and I am no different either.
Thanks everyone for getting me off the wrong track and you all have helped push my resolve to get/ stay in the right place- away from drinking altogether.

I'm glad to hear you say that.... and I hope you're able to really commit to that choice.

I went back and read your first post, from when you joined here. Your story includes a lot of the common-theme elements of the many many thousands and millions of downhill-spiraling alcohol abusers who found themselves one day suddenly so far gone they almost couldnt' recognize themselves. "How the hell did I wind up HERE??".

I remember being where you describe. I remember thinking it'd never get worse. I remember feeling like I was different from all the others who'd gone before me and learned the hard way.

These days I have to kind of chuckle at myself.... because now that I've gone and learned the hard way I can look back and see the folly of it that I was totally blind to at the time.