View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
hopepraylove

Originally Posted by Austin4Wyo View Post
Just out of curiosity, is this through mutual friends that you're seeing the "other fish in the sea" stuff?

I'll say this...asking for no contact was one of the best things my ex ever did for me. I don't think it made a bit of difference on my continued descent into a hellish, addicted existence, but at least I didn't have her as a continued crutch to stay in denial. Even the glimmer that we might have some way to "work it out" kept me thinking in the wrong spots, and wasn't healthy for her.

I recall when you first joined, and how much I was able to relate to your ex's behaviors. I maintain that he's MUCH like me, and that you doing this may not benefit him, but it certainly won't hurt him.

More importantly, it's what is right for YOU. Do NOT lose sight of that. He is continuing to make choices ruled by his addiction, and the effect it's having on your own emotional health is clearly marked. His description of "a few life events" is horsecaca, and you know it. What you choose to do with that knowledge is up to you.

I am utterly impressed with your resolve, your courage, and your empathy through the ordeal that you've described over the last few months. Now that I've started entering into relationships with others affected by addiction, I'm acutely aware of just how many people do NOT deal with addictive behaviors from significant others as well as you have. Many choose to stay in their own sickness far longer than you have, and your choices are to be applauded. Don't let him, or anyone else, take away the good things in your own life (including a sense of discretion regarding your own situation) because they don't know the whole story.

"Don't judge your chapter by someone else's book."
Hi Austin,

Yes, my friends sent me "screen shots" of his facebook and the comments. I think they were just kind of blind sided themselves since I haven't necessarily kept them in the loop with everything.

Thank you for the kind words, they go far. Especially right now...I'm having a really difficult time. His last message to me wasn't kind and I hate leaving things on a "note" like that. A huge part of me wants to send a "closure/kind" message so at least I have a clear conscience. This is definitely not a situation I would wish on anyone. I want to be as compassionate and empathetic as possible, while prioritizing what is best and healthiest for me.