Thread: Advice / help
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 09:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DoubleFelix

Hi Stewy, thanks so much for this thread! I have anxiety and depression too, and they feed off each other in the way you described. I'm not on meds but I am in the process of learning to deal with my anxiety. When I get really anxious it feels as if my mind gets really small and I can barely do anything, it's awful.

Right now I'm seeing a therapist and am part of a meditation community (Shambhala). Both things have helped to an extent. I am also reading a book called Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach, and would really recommend it. I've realized that I have to relearn how to relate to myself. I'm very hard on myself, and it's quite difficult to be happy when someone is mean to you all the time. Part of that is connecting to what I am actually feeling in my body and thinking in my mind. Years of numbing with booze has made this feel awkward and unnatural for me, but it's a skill set that CAN be learned. For me the anxiety may not go away fully, but it can get better and more managable with practice. Honestly I still struggle a lot but with the support systems have definitely lightened the load a bit, and I hope this will continue to improve the more I work and practice. I hope this helps, please know you are not alone in this. Way to reach out, and keep on keepin' on!