Thread: Serendipity
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by VanillaChaiTea View Post
I am trying to figure out how to do the 90/90 thing and make it work with my schedule and am committed to making it work. Fortunately, I am a really early riser (4:30 a.m. today). My schedule is tough as I work for attorneys. I will figure it out.
I was told about the 90 in 90 thing and managed somewhere near 90 meetings in the alloted time. But to me the concept had a deeper meaning and really signified total immersion in every aspect of AA. I am glad it did because I know now that meetings alone were not enough to get me sober. AAs solution to alcoholism is a life changing spiritual experience, the result of the steps not the meetings.

So I did loads of meetings, and got a sponsor, and worked the steps and by the time 90 days came around, the drink problem had been removed and has never come back.

There was this man I sponsored who was really ill when he came in, but had the responsibility for raising two boys as well as working a full time job. For those reasosn he could only manage two meetings a week, which I thought was not enough. However, we worked the steps together, at a good clip, and he changed right in front of my eyes. Today he has a wonderful recovery, 5 years and counting.

So it wasn't the number of meetings, it was the steps and the three requirements for sobriety, which he had in spades - honesty, open mindedness, and willingness.