View Single Post
Old 11-29-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
alterity

My dad's wife's son, let's call him J, was only 33. He had an extensive history of drug abuse. In fact, his story is almost identical to B's. At one point during the funeral, I turned to one of my aunt's and said that the hardest part of this was that could easily be B right there now in the coffin. The son's girlfriend has claimed that J was not alone when he was hit by the train. She was not with them, so who knows what she knows or does not know. We think she has said this to try to alleviate some of the guilt J's father might have about kicking his son out of the house and this happening right after. If someone was with him, which is doubtful, then it may not have been suicide. Being the lawyer I am, I asked about whether there is an investigation, but that idea was shrugged off. No one cares about another dead junkie in the ghetto. I'm generally speaking about our society and the police, not J's family. As far as they are concerned, they care of course but they care most of all that he is finally at peace and, sad to say, so is the family.

My dad updated me about B who was in another hospital the other day after leaving the shelter. The social worker was able to get insurance to approve a 28 day rehab. The program has follow up transitional support with a halfway house and vocational counseling which can last up to 3 months, from what I understand. My aunt (the one closest to my dad, whose son went through Caron FL) was pessimistic about it, saying that a month "is nothing" and "won't do any good" and "needs something long term, at least six months preferably a year", etc. She wants to "try to get him into a better place." We are lucky we have him agreeing to this place, as he does not want dad paying for him to go anywhere. Anyway, at least I have a month of peace.