Old 11-28-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
tursiops999

Hi VanillaChaiTea, welcome back! Good for you for deciding to ask for help!

My suggestion would be to try a bunch of different meetings, different formats (speaker, book study), one a day for awhile, until you find meetings that feel right to you. For me they all felt a little weird at first, but as I got familiar with the formats and some of the people, I started finding meetings that felt right for me.

When the floor is open for sharing, you can definitely ask for help, and if you hang around after the meeting you can talk with people privately about getting help. One idea is to ask for a "temporary sponsor" to help you just through your first days and weeks. I did this after my second meeting ... I found someone who's sharing sorta made sense to me. She and I both agreed that I would be free to change to someone else if I wanted, but that she would help me get started. That took the pressure off finding the "right" person. (As it turns out, she has remained my sponsor and a good friend, but we started out as "temporary").

Please keep posting and let us know how it goes ... it can take a little while to find your feet in AA, but people are there to help you.