View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 11:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Berrybean

When I was looking at the parts of my inventory that dealt with abusive people, the thing my sponsor told me to look at was my part, and what caused it. Well, I decided, my part was in taking my fear and turning that into a resentment, and allowing that anger / rage to poison so much of the rest of my life, and so many other relationships. My part was in placing myself if certain situations because my pride and selfishness meant that I would refuse to let anyone help me because I thought I knew better than them, and because I was actually trying to get something out of situations myself, and treating people badly by objectifying them, and that backfired badly for me. I'm not saying that I deserved the abuse that I was subjected to, but I was could acknowledge my parts in how things unfolded.

It didn't result in an 'amend' in Step 9 but it had had an impact on how I resolved to move forward as far as loving relationships were concerned in the future earlier on in my step 4 work. When looking at my Future Sex & Relationships Idea, I resolved, for example: to set boundaries in my relationships, and actually tell others involved what those boundaries were; To say 'no' , even if it might mean risking them thinking badly of me; To take care of myself as an adult by not ever again being a drunken wreck of a sitting duck; To remove myself from toxic people; To not objectify people but be mindful of their feelings, and not treat relationships or people as a source of entertainment or excitement; .... etc. etc.