View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
LiveInPeace

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I only have a minute here, but for me, time. Give time time. I have had little to no contact with my brothers. Last year I was able to make an amends, a little one if you will, to my younger brother. We've never been close and we still aren't, but he said he has forgiven me. Today that suffices and we just live our lives.
Maybe in time he'll see that you changed. But I know we have to let it go if that's not the case and just live our lives.

My older brother raised my son, although in my alkie opinion, he has done it illegally, but the intention was there to do the right thing. Last weekend I was able to hug my son for the first time in 8 years. He's 20. He had the biggest smile on his face. I don't know when we will be able to talk again, he is heavily influenced by my brother and his wife, but I have new life today. Something is awesome now that I've had some contact with my son.
That is so cool about your son!

My older brother keeps me informed about my mother's health, which is failing as he attends the doctor's appointments with my parents. I only get my mother's version. Today, I will take food to my parents as they aren't able to get out of their home (due to not feeling well) today.
That is kind of you to bring your parents food.

My brother and his wife aren't really speaking with me, just sending some texts about mom (brother). I did thank my sister-in-law for raising my son well.
I feel for you. I think a lot of us are in similar situations. I know my sponsor would say, "The only opinion that matter's is God's", and "Just keep on keeping your side of the street clean." That was really kind of you to text that to your sister in law.

There's something I'm not saying here, but basically, stay sober, keep growing spiritually and something may change. I don't hang with people who don't want my company, but I don't harbor those horrendous feelings of hatred I once did. Progress, not perfection. Steps 5 and 7 are my turning points, and I do meet weekly with my sponsor for an hour or two, see them at home group once a week, also.....
I'm not sure what that means but I think that means you don't want to talk about religion and break tradition, so that's fine. I know we're allowed to talk about God, though.

That is great you are free from the hate. I hope I will be one day, too. I know that hate/anger only poisons our souls, doesn't harm anyone else but ourselves--that's what I was taught in my program.

I hope you have a happy today filled with being present in each moment.
Thanks! That's timely, since I was just telling my sponsor that I hoped this Thanksgiving I could be in the present moment. I'm not going to lie; I was craving a drink for a moment or two after a crazy phone call with some family members, but I was able to give it to God and bring myself back out of ego/mind and into spirit. I'm getting a lot better at not feeding into my ego/mind and just letting it be.

I heard it said once that "God only exists in the present moment, and when we're in the past, we're depressed/wallowing and when we're in the future, we're anxious/in fear."