View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RedAndy

Originally Posted by foreverfuzzy View Post
Hi RedAndy,

Sounds like you're really doing some good thinking and reflecting.

The hard time will be when you've had a nice break from it all and then talk yourself into giving "moderation" a go. That's what I did after 7 weeks sober and of course it snowballed pretty quickly. I just have to remind myself every big event / night out / wedding I've ever been to and how drunk I have got. That is the evidence that is indisuptable. I drank to get drunk, I liked feeling smashed. The party wasn't a party without drink and alot of it, the people and place almost came secondary.

Hard to change habits of a lifetime but I'm concentrating on the family too, and trying to revivie some old hobbies I used to have.

Have a good weekend : )
Thanks for all the replies and yes I know what I have to do and have things right and clear in my head.

Same goes drank to get drunk and ruined many occasions over the years - the more I reflect and look back on them the more I realise just how much I have spoilt. You're words in that second paragraph ring oh so true.

If I'm honest all my hobbies revolve around drink and drugs, they shouldn't have to and can be done without but its the scene I've always been at since I was 14 years old - football was a big passion (trouble with that in my younger years) but also a heavy drink and drug culture from those early days to when I actually turned it in around 4 years ago - it's not what it once was and happy to sit at home instead, it was part of a problem for many years but one I did accept and stopped - I've tried to drop things and change and cut things out many times - really evading the fact that the actual root of it all is the drink.

Music (rave scene - since the late 80's and still bang into it to this day - now unable to listen to any of it though as it just means party and conjures up the thoughts of drugs immediately making me uncomfortable and down as I know there's no more) - just booked tickets in between posts for Coldplay who are one of my wife's favourite bands for June next year as a Christmas present - majority of their stuff is stuff we listen to together and doesn't put me in the same mindset as the dance music but going to a concert is a different matter but there's a good few months before it comes around, usually a good few drinks of course - saying that the last couple I have taken her too seeing U2 I've spoilt through getting hammered - this time I can truly make it a night for her to remember for all the right reasons.

Even a nice day out or walk always revolves around finding a good place for a few beers - holidays revolve around drink whether AI or sightseeing - the pub / bar always calls out loud.

One final hobby I had many years ago that I seem to have stopped is playing snooker but again that revolved around the drink - played many games with one eye closed trying to see the balls - used to play better tho !!

We as a couple and family need to find a whole new range of stuff to do instead of me filling my weekends with drinking myself into oblivion - whether that be indoors or out with mates, I read through the "things to do" thread yesterday and found it most useful.