View Single Post
Old 11-26-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
miamifella

I am very surprised at what you are saying.

I have been advocating communication, honesty, openness, service to others and connection to something greater than yourself. I have taken a lot of good advice from people here and often posted in support of good advice given to others. And how many times have I said that AA is the best place for anyone to begin their recovery and is the program that works best for the greatest number of people.

I tell my story to encourage others to seek out the help they need if AA does not work for them, because I was so afraid to for so long. No one told me there were many paths to recovery or that I should even seek out support from others. I think that is important to say (and you have yourself said the same thing even in this thread).

When people try to deny my experience, I must state clearly that my experience is what it is. To do otherwise would be dishonest and foster resentment.

AA was a big part of my life and gave me a vision of what recovery could be. I will always be grateful for that. And I cannot share my experience without including 12-step recovery, therapy and SR . As an addict, all I can share is my own personal experience. I cannot share things that will help me in the future or theoretical ideas. When I share my history in recovery, there are things that were effective for me and things that were not.

One thing I learned in 12-step recovery was the importance of sharing one's experience. I do not think it traps one or keeps one from trying new things as you suggest. Rather it can provide insight, connection, and (we hope) help others to find their own path.

And the great thing about SR is that people with other experiences will share theirs. And it all can be out there so anyone can find something to relate to.