View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Soberish

The Temptation Is Near

Just got home for the Thanksgiving holiday. I made some plans to hang out with my cousin today. When we get together we always drink, or used to I should say. All my friends have learned to accept that if I turn down an offer for beer to just leave it at that with no questions asked and no hard feelings. Getting together with my cousin is probably my biggest trigger to drink. He's the only one I know that will still try to edge me on to have a beer after I turn down the offer.

Ive always wondered why we couldn't just hang out without drinking, even when I was drinking. I would ask myself, why does it have to be EVERY time we hang out? I'm guessing its his social crutch, and used to be mine as well. I'm sure he feels it puts a different twist on the dynamics, and I agree that it probably does, but I dont think theres anything wrong with different dynamics.

He does quit drinking from time to time as well. He's one of those guys that need to quit for a month or 2 or 3, you know, whenever he arrives at his "accomplished date". And I have hung out with him during these times but if hes not drinking hes smoking weed, its always something. I do recognize his tendencies to quit for a while at a time is addiction behavior, and Im sure he does too, but the difference between his thinking and mine is that his "using is managed and controllable" and i feel that it's still a problem even if you take a break because it keeps you in the same state of mind.

Anyways, I'm about to head out. I know I could just make an excuse not to go but I havent seen him in a while and dont feel this issue should stop me from doing so. The plan is to grab a couple smokes (tobacco not weed) and a coffee, everything should be fine. Wish me luck