View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ShootingStar1

Hey, good for you! You are taking care of your son, you are taking care of yourself, and you are ready to get a real boundary between you and your husband. What that will give you is time to get out of the mode of reacting to everything he says.

For me, it took me significant time alone to realize that I was mainly perceiving the world through the lense of my husband's eyes and perspective. I found that I would, when I saw something happen or contemplated taking an action, knee-jerk first to "what will he say or do if I do XY or Z"

Then, with some time on my own, I was able to step back from that response and say to myself "hey, the question is what do I think?" And finally, I was able to think on my own. This is tough stuff because we have let ourselves become brainwashed that our partner's feelings and thoughts are right and matter more than ours do. Eventually, we get to understanding and believing that we are important too, and that it is okay to make a decision that we feel is right, even if it doesn't please our spouse.

This isn't necessarily commenting on whether we do or don't want to stay with our spouses. The first part of this is to get enough emotional freedom to realize what we do feel and think.

ShootingStar1