View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Music

"Being sober's not enough"! Great thought. Brings up the question: What is being sober? What is sobriety? If I look in the dictionary, sobriety is defined as "not being drunk".....basically. But to me, that's not all there is to sobriety. Sobriety is also being of sound, healthy and useful mind and body. When I was drinking, I was drunk most of the time but I was also sick from hangovers. I was depressed and grouchy. I was continually worried and burdened with guilt about what I'd said or done and who I'd said or done something to. The Big Book of AA talks about the Four Horsemen, i.e. Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration and Despair. To me, the idea of being sober is the complete opposite of what I've listed above and by the way, I could list more. The Big Book around page 100-105, I'm not sure exactly where...you look it up...talks about being so afraid of drinking again that the only safe place might be the Polar Ice Cap until an Eskimo stops by with a bottle of Scotch, which simply means that until I feel "free" in my sobriety, I still have the mind of an alcoholic. This is why we talk about having a "complete psychic change". I had to learn how to go anywhere and do anything with anyone without having to fear alcohol. So you're absolutely correct when you say, "Being sober's not enough"!