View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  
gleefan

KeepingItReal - Welcome! I've received so much support and encouragement in this thread. For me the key to staying sober has been sharing what I'm doing, how I'm feeling, and being open to what others are doing that's working for them. It's taken my life in directions I never thought it would take, to a place better than I ever imagined it could be.

Building on Saskia's advice, when I had cravings I tried to remember that all I had to do was get through today, this part of the day, or even this moment, without alcohol.

I built incremental strength in my sober legs with each moment. Eventually my cravings stopped.

WWS - How was the rest of your weekend? It sure sounds like you're reaching that point where cravings mostly subside. I know, it didn't seem like it would be possible at first, at least not for me, til I got there. Like you, I didn't want to get complacent. I STILL don't. I've seen over and over that alcoholism is a cunning, baffling and powerful force.

Saskia - I like your visualization technique for overcoming cravings.

Fradley - What an amazing change you've noticed in yourself. Hey, I don't know if things happen for a reason, or if we just need to make the best of things that happen, but either way you look at it, your perspective on it is inspirational. You can see the transition from the self centered active alcoholic that many of us saw in ourselves to someone who can responsibly handle one of life's bumps.

Inc - So well put about life's curveballs. Thank you so much for sharing that.

Amp - Sounds like you had a nice weekend without the wines. It truly has gotten easier and easier for me. Last night at the hotel where the families were staying for the hockey tournament there was a lot of wine flowing. It didn't appeal to me at all.

Toots - Hello and good to hear from you.

BoozeFree - Congrats on 30 days! I am grateful you continue to let us have your back. Take care of that shoulder.

I felt a whole lot less angsty at the hockey tournament than I did at the ones I went to earlier in recovery. I'm becoming a lot less awkward expressing that I don't drink, as well. I was able to confidentially express that I don't drink in a way that shows that it isn't open to further discussion, but shows that I am completely interested in getting to know everyone. And I went to my room when I was done.

Successes make me grow incrementally, but I know that as an alcoholic, I can't afford to be complacent. I'll have 21 months sober tomorrow, but next weekend is another tournament, and I'll go at it at 21 months the same as I did early on - with a plan on how to enjoy myself, and how to take care of myself if I feel any challenges.