Old 11-15-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Hi Step12,

I have just read through some of your threads, including this one -- welcome to SR! This is a great place for both receiving and giving help for a variety of issues, alcoholism being only one. I personally used the forum for all kinds of things, it's a wonderful resource of information, support, compassion, advice, friendship, or just interesting discussion. I think what sometimes happens is that those of us who have accumulated a certain amount of sober time start to feel that we are supposed to have all of our cr@p together and be perfect, always ready to offer help and guidance -- in reality, I think this is simply not how life works. I actually like that you are not hesitant to express your opinions and point of view, it's better than bottling it up and turning all of the anger against the self. Of course most of us can do with a bit of adjustment regarding channeling our negative emotions in a balanced way, but I think many find that expressing frustration in constructive and safe ways can be a great source of energy and healing. We just need to find what methods work best for us in a particular era. For example, I do things like art work (for mental energies), exercise (to let it out in a physical way), and try to maintain a few very open and honest relationships with a lot of mutual awareness and communication so they can handle positive and negative emotions in a constructive way. The professional help others have suggested may also be good especially if you have a history of abuse.

Reading your posts, I was thinking, perhaps you might want to explore some new ways of dealing with your problems and maybe even new ways of helping others than what you are already familiar with, in addition to your usual tools?

I personally don't see anything wrong with your expressing a bit of heat here, most of us who have been here for a while have done it in one form or another. Frustration and conflicts are normal components of being human, often the best thing to do is to work them out rather than avoiding them. It's typically uncomfortable, but we can't have only pleasant feelings and events I believe.

I feel that you have an open enough mind for these things. Maybe read around for a while to see more of the amazing information and wisdom here and judge for yourself what's interesting/helpful for you and where you can contribute. I always think that the most helpful contributors are those who do not only provide feedback and support, but also reveal a lot about themselves and their issues.