Thread: hubby in detox
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Stung

I would be happy if he just put down the bottle
Not to be argumentative, but a lot of people find that they're still not happy and that life isn't much easier or even less chaotic when their spouses do get sober and sober for the long haul.

I empathize with you greatly, especially since your handle is angry wife. I don't know why I didn't think of that for my OWN handle when I originally registered. Through mostly therapy work I have found that probably 75% of the time that I feel angry I'm actually sad. What is happening with your family, your children and your marriage right now is sad. It really is. It's not fair and there really is nothing you can do to make your husband stop his insane behavior.

In my own experience, working on myself - this website, therapy and al-anon - has made the real difference for me. I'm still married, although long term separated, to my alcoholic husband and we have two kids together. I decided about two years ago that what was most important to me was to protect my children from his disease as much as I could and not living with him makes it a million times easier.

Have you considered separating from him whether he stops drinking or not?