Thread: hubby in detox
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
ladyscribbler

What if he doesn't put down the bottle? Some don't. Not ever. Not even if they lose everything. My ex is one of those.
If I hadn't stayed so long and enabled my ex at home, then I think all the outside enabling would have mattered much less. But he always had a comfortable place to come back to and keep drinking.
My no didn't really mean no. It meant "keep bugging me until I cave." My "this is the last time" was never really the last time, and he knew that.
Of course when I was in the midst of everything it was really easy to see how his drinking caused so many problems. It was much harder to recognize my own contribution to the unhealthy dynamic that went on in our home. Simply by staying where I was, making empty threats, taking on the majority of the adult responsibilities in the house and accepting unacceptable behavior I unwittingly made it OK for him to drink and carry on doing whatever he wanted.
I had it in my head that the solution to all my problems was him putting down the bottle. He's still drinking, but it's no longer my problem.