Thread: hubby in detox
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
ladyscribbler

Detox and rehab exist to help the alcoholic or addict. That's their focus. And yes, part of the alcoholic behavior can be to create a lot of drama (whether intentionally or not).
You can make the choice for him to no longer be the center of the universe. The household does not have to revolve around him, nor should it. As long as that dynamic continues, you and your children will be the ones who suffer.
He may or may not get and stay sober. My dad had a similar story as yours. He made the announcement one day that he was no longer drinking. I don't know if he went to rehab or anything. (I suspect he got caught drinking at work and was in danger of losing his job and pension). Not everyone is able to do that, and even those that do may still exhibit the same behaviors as they did when drinking. Just putting down the bottle is not the magic solution to everything, it's really just the first step in a long recovery process.
There are things you can do to help yourself and your children now, whatever your husband ends up doing.