Old 11-12-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ladyscribbler

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Most of the time it's somehow, some way, connected to protecting the addiction. It's only incomprehensible to non-alcoholics--which is why you hear so many alcoholics in AA laughing when somebody is recounting some insane thing they did. Because we ALL did insane stuff like that--not the exact same things, necessarily, but we understand the twisted thinking that is behind a lot of it.
That's what it really boils down to. I finally figured out that everything out of his mouth translated to, "I'm not ready to quit drinking."
I was much better off once I let go of trying to make sense of every individual crazy thing he said.
And Firesprite, I think my ex was probably the alcoholic that the other alcoholics hung out with to feel better about themselves, lol. Of course he would never hesitate to point a finger at someone else and say, "THAT GUY is an alcoholic, he got a DUI."
And of course I never hesitated to point out other people's codie behavior. "I can't believe his mom bailed him out of jail again."
We really are two sides of the same coin.