Old 11-10-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Andante

Being of service to others is a key component of the AA program.

Spiritual growth and doing what’s right for your recovery often requires getting out of your comfort zone and doing things with which you initially might feel uncomfortable.

That said, the timeframe or the manner in which you fulfill the service aspect of the program should not be dictated by your sponsor. When sponsors tell their sponsees what they NEED to be doing, they’re overstepping their brief, IMO. There are other ways for you to be of service to humanity than becoming involved with AA business matters.

If it were me, I would have a discussion with my sponsor in which I would acknowledge the need to be of service to others but state that I don’t feel called at this time to fulfill this need by adopting a home group or becoming involved in AA service.

I would try to open my mind and heart to any message that "God" (Good Orderly Direction works for me personally) might have for me on how I could be of better service to others — and then I would take action, even if it was likely to make me feel uncomfortable in the short term.