Old 11-10-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Solost88

Is there a way to help someone see they're an addict?

My partner is a functioning alcoholic. He drinks to the point of passing out and urinating on himself, on average at least once a week. He drinks at least 6 days a week. He can be verbally abusive when he drinks and has put his hands on me, but never caused real physical pain. I know I should just leave him, but I won't. We have a 1 y o together, and if I leave, he'll have visitations alone w him, and I know he won't refrain from drinking if he had him over night. I feel like its a dumb question, but is there a way to show someone they have a serious problem? I'm an addict myself. I'm not using, but when I was, I was never in denial because I was injecting drugs and there's really no way of telling yourself that's OK. He works 40+ hours a week doing backbreaking labor, and he maintains our home, so for these reasons, he believes he's fine. I have spent the entirety of my life around addicts (mom, dad, aunt, ex partners, friends, myself). I feel like I must put myself in situations like this on purpose. Now I have brought a child into my sick life, and I'm so sorry for that, but I can't take it back. I've given my son an alcoholic father, and have in turn, perpetuated the cycle of addiction. Sometimes I think it'd be easier if he just "disappeared." That's not likely to happen though. I am such a weak, dependent person. I feel pathetic even for saying so. Does anyone have any advice, other than leave him? Or is that the only solution?