View Single Post
Old 11-07-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
teatreeoil007

Another thing that may not help a recovering perfectionist is comparing yourself to others....and thinking: "Oh I wish I was skinny like her and could look so cute and good in clothes like that." Or "I wish I had the perfect house like her". Or, "I wish I could pull off the perfect dinner party like she does." Or, "I wish I had as much money as them" Or, "I wish I drove a car like that!". And the list goes on. I'm not saying friendly competition has no place in society...sometimes other people can INSPIRE us! But, rather than just be inspired by a wonderful quality in someone else, we can sort of take on some unrealistic expectations for ourselves. We may NEVER have the perfect house, for example, and THAT'S OKAY! We may never be what is considered skinny and that's okay as long as we are healthy! We may never make as much money as so and so, but we can still be just as happy and possibly happier.

My counselor quoted one source that said perfectionism is like slow suicide. I didn't agree with that at first and still not sure I do...I'm thinking about it....is it REALLy like slow suicide? hmmmmm. I don't know...