View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 11:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
teatreeoil007

One of the first things I thought of when I wrote that post is how much perfectionism plays into eating disorders...and how perfectionism can easily tie into body image. Part of the problem is intrinsic...but I also think part of the problem is messages (even the subliminal ones) that tell us we have to be ___________ (perfect) in appearance...and for many women that translates into they need to look like a cover girl or super model. There is this big push to have the perfect body, the perfect size __ and/or fit into that perfect outfit and have the type of body that could be seen in the swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated. I'm not knocking people who DO look that way,but for most folks they can end up on a never ending quest to "arrive" at some dream "look" while missing some of the wonderful "inner work" that could be going on all along. Some people will only take certain things "on" if they know they can do it perfectly or at least to a certain standard of "elite". I have found myself in that mindset too at times...

Anyways, as it relates to anorexia/bulemia: These eating disorders are also about control. And I think part of being a perfectionist is needing to have some control.