Old 11-03-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mango blast

Do you have any meetings available with babysitting? When I found one, I then saw they had an Alateen/Alakid program at the same time. Those seem rare, yet worth looking for.

I used to think I couldn't make it to one meeting a week (my sponsor suggested 3/wk) or even one meeting last summer due to my work schedule and distance from meetings. I'm finding this is how my HP works in my life... as I become willing and make an effort, somehow things start opening up and becoming possible. Some of it's me taking the next right action, but so much of it has been completely beyond me. Letting the other members, the groups and my HP carry me and help me when I can't do things by myself. Problem is... it's still up to me to take the action, and with my old thoughts and behaviors I couldn't get much of anything in my life to work. Not much has changed except those thoughts and behaviors... and with that, everything is changing.

Baby steps. This all comes about in the right time, when we're ready. It took me a long time to be willing to have a sponsor, and even longer before I was ready to start doing what she suggested. We're both okay with that. Laying the foundation sometimes takes time. There's no wrong way to do this, just sometimes finding what doesn't work for us before we're ready to try something else. I did that for many, many years!! I don't even regret it. (too much)

Sadly, the confirmation of alcoholism often comes with the chronic progression of the disease. Yes, if only it could be diagnosed and treated early. Having met some healthier couples during family week at my husband's two rehab stays, it seemed that some people have a lower tolerance for unacceptable behavior. What I didn't see as all too abnormal, they couldn't live with at all. What I'm finding in Alanon are solutions, instead of looking at the problems... and also other ways to look at all of it, so it's not a big scary monster taking over my life.

Congrats on being here, for posting and reaching out. Those are big steps.