Old 06-21-2005, 10:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
NoMoBeer

Minnie:
Understood, tongue in cheek as well... just a little alkie humor

"If you had my wife, you'd drink too..." How many of us have said this? "If you had my problems, you'd drink too" " I'm so pissed, I need a drink," "I'm so happy, I need a drink,...."

Bottom line for this alcoholic is that I had to drink. Period. It came disguised as many things -- just a habit, just beer, just how I am, whatever. In the end, I'm an alcoholic and I CANNOT DRINK ALCOHOL SAFELY. I can't cut down, I can't switch brands or types, I just cannot drink.

In order to not drink, I have to make changes in my life. One was to go to AA, so that I could learn to live on a spiritual basis. I didn't care if they were "holier than thou" or kooky or whatever -- they had what I wanted -- SOBRIETY. If I was willing to go to any lengths, I could take certain steps to get what they had. And it is working today...

I was half making a joke and half dead serious, and as so many others have posted here, it's not the wife, Donny -- it's you. I cannot change other people, places, things or situations. I can ONLY change me. First step is to stop drinking. Things will get better if you don't drink. Forget about the fact that you're a drinking alcoholic, you're just using that as an excuse to drink more it seems.... been there and done that one myself... If in fact you KNOW that you are alcoholic, that in itself will not change any of your actions. You must want to change, and want a different result (sobriety) in order to be sober. Just going to an AA meeting won't magically change you into a sober person. First, you must want to be sober more than you want to drink or be drunk. Second, you must do the work to get there....

Keep us posted, and PLEASE get some help.

Ken