Thread: Steps alone?
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by letitgo View Post
Someone mentioned a spiritual sponsor and a an AA sponsor? Is it hard to find someone that does both or better to have two seperate advisors. Reason i am am asking is because i have been all over the place in recovery and i think its time for some perspective and to work the steps.
This is a really good point to raise. As AA is a spiritual program it follows that all sponsors ought to be spiritual sponsors.

My sponsor was like that. He saw his sole job as using the twelve steps to help me get connected to a power greater than myself that would solve my problem. He was under no illusions about his own power to keep me sober.

He was a great listener, he helped me unravel the tangles I got my self in by asking me questions, like he loaned me his reasoning power when I could not think for my self. He taught me how to think, not what to think, and he knew when to step back and let me make my mistakes.

He never once told me how to live my life, what relationship to have or not have, what job to have, what friends to have, or what I should do about anything. He simply taught and practiced the 12 steps, and set a great example of selflessness.