View Single Post
Old 10-29-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Debbie329 View Post
Gotta life thank you for the feedback.......I feel I don't have a few years to work on this problem. I feel it is the root of my self destruction patterns.......I've been self destructive for years. It can't go on. There is no one to talk to about this. Both my brothers are in denial....and they treat me like we were back in our childhood. They haven't changed because they either can't see a reason to or because they've lived in the same town all their lives.....I'm the one who moved away. They don't respect me and they act like I'm either stupid or unequal to them. None of that is right so I cut them off, no longer speaking to them. I can just imagine what they will say to each other after they hear about my recent DUI.
Hi Debbie,

I can only come at this from an AA point of view as I have no experience of ACA other than conversations with my sponsee and his partner.

The AA big book makes this statement;" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house."

Then it also says "But this does not mean that we disregard human health measures. God has abundantly supplied this world with fine doctors, psychologists, and practitioners of various kinds. Do not hesitate to take your health problems to such persons. Most of them give freely of themselves, that their fellows may enjoy sound minds and bodies. Try to remember that though God has wrought miracles among us, we should never belittle a good doctor or psychiatrist. Their services are often indispensable in treating a newcomer and in following his case afterward."

What these two passages seem to be saying is you can recover from alcoholism regardless of anyone else, and once recovered you can make effective use of therapies for other issues.

My ACA friends tell me ACA is completely different to AA in its approach. Not all its members are alcoholics for instance, and for their program to be effective those that are alcoholic need to be well on the way to recovery. I could be wrong, but I think they said that ACA is not usually successful in solving the problems of an active or unrecovered alcoholic. It would be putting the cart before the horse so to speak.