View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
NightmaresOnWax

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
GP's can prescribe meds and might depending on your condition, but i'd recommend getting a therapist' input too. I have bad anxiety (heath) and initially saw my GP because I thought I had physical problems. They gave me a prescription right off the bat for an SSRI but I waited and wanted to try therapy along first. So far it's working well
That's interesting because the same thing happened to me. I was going to doctors for several years thinking I had heart problems, acid reflux, asthma, you name it.
I've been dealing with it for about 4-5 years now and after trying a whole spectrum of different meds to treat psysical conditions, I am convinced that it is all psychological. It took a long time for me to finally come to that conclusion, but I noticed that; Lack of sleep(primary contributor), lack of activity, stress and drinking heavier than I normally do all seem to contribute.
I probably am in denial as to how much my drinking contributes, too...of course it only happens the day after drinking and goes away when I drink, so at one point I even had myself convinced that the alcohol was helping whatever condition it was. It wasn't through lots of experimenting that I realized it is about 10 times worse the day after heavy drinking when compared to light drinking.

Anyways due to this and several other reasons, I am not a big fan of the medical industry. That is one of several reasons I didn't trust the therapists motives. I now realize there were several other red flags; He steered me away from AA was one. Another was the whole not willing to work with my schedule thing. Then there was jumping to medication without trying anything else first, really.(one of his colleagues was in internal medicine and he said she would basically prescribe whatever he suggested)

Anyways other than the obvious things like exercise and sleep, what are some of the things they would do other than medication to help with anxiety?
Also it seems like when the anxiety goes away, the depression takes over. It's kind of strange really.