View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by NightmaresOnWax View Post
Honestly I would be willing to try them, but the therapist showed no interest in being flexible with my schedule. He only wanted to see me during hours where I would have to leave work and I have a very demanding job as far as attendance goes.
Is there some way I can just go to a general doctor and ask for them? Maybe mention that I am trying to quit drinking and a while back a therapist suggested I try lexapril? Is it common for people to go that route?
Most therapists cannot prescribe meds anyway, only a nurse practitioner or a clinical psychologist can.

It sound to me like you might want to try a different therapist anyway - even if you wanted to try therapy only they should be lot more accomodating.

GP's can prescribe meds and might depending on your condition, but i'd recommend getting a therapist' input too. I have bad anxiety (heath) and initially saw my GP because I thought I had physical problems. They gave me a prescription right off the bat for an SSRI but I waited and wanted to try therapy along first. So far it's working well.

Bottom line though, none of this will really help much until you stop drinking for an extended period. Alcohol messes up the meds effects anyway so it's not very beneficial to take them while you are drinking - in fact it can make things even worse.